Effective Date: October 22, 2020
Last Updated: October 27, 2020
Note: These Terms include your agreement to arbitrate most disputes, which affects your rights. You may opt-out by sending notice as further described in Section 9.
BY ACCEPTING THESE TERMS, EITHER BY CLICKING A BOX INDICATING YOUR ACCEPTANCE OR BY ACCESSING AND USING THE SERVICE, YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS.
1. USE OF THE SERVICE
- Use of the Service. Subject to the terms and conditions of these Terms, we grant you a limited, worldwide, non-exclusive, non-transferable right to use the Service solely for the duration and purposes of your attendance to the virtual event to which you were invited by the virtual event host or organizer. Your rights to use the Service are subject to any limitations set forth herein and your rights to use the Service are contingent upon your compliance with these Terms. You are solely responsible for your conduct, any data uploaded into the Service, or otherwise provided for processing by the Service (collectively, “Your Data”), the content of Your Data and legality and means by which you acquired it, and all communications with others while using the Service. You acknowledge that we have no obligation to monitor any information on the Service, but we may remove or disable any information that you make publicly available on the Service at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. We are not responsible for the availability, accuracy, appropriateness, or legality of Your Data or any other information you may access using the Service.
- Acceptable Use. Except as otherwise explicitly provided in these Terms or as may be expressly permitted by applicable law, you will not, and will not permit or authorize third parties to: (a) rent, lease, or, except as explicitly set forth in these Terms, otherwise permit third parties to use the Service; (b) use the Service to provide services to third parties as a service bureau or in any way that violates applicable law; (c) circumvent or disable any security or other technological features or measures of the Service, or attempt to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of a network or system, or to breach security or authentication measures; (d) upload or provide for processing any information or material that is false, misleading, illegal, defamatory, offensive, abusive, obscene, or that violates privacy or intellectual property rights of any third party; (e) use the Service to harm, threaten, or harass another person or organization; (f) send, store, or distribute any viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or other disabling code or malware component harmful to a network or system; (g) use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other manual or automatic device or process to download, access, retrieve, index, “data mine”, or in any way reproduce or circumvent, avoid, bypass, remove, or deactivate the navigational structure or technical measures or presentation of the Services or its contents; (h) attempt to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of the Services or any of our systems or network or breach any security or authentication measures; (i) use the Service to communicate any message or material that is harassing, libelous, threatening, obscene, indecent, would violate the intellectual property rights of any party or is otherwise unlawful, that would give rise to civil liability, or that constitutes or encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, under any applicable law or regulation; (j) upload or transmit any software, content or code that does or is intended to harm, disable, destroy or adversely affect performance of the Service in any way or which does or is intended to harm or extract information or data from other hardware, software or networks of Gatherly or other users of Service; (k) engage in any activity or use the Service in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, impair or otherwise interfere with or disrupt the Service, or any servers or networks connected to the Service or Gatherly’s security systems; (l) use the Service in violation of any Gatherly policy or in a manner that violates applicable law, including but not limited to anti-spam, export control, privacy, and anti-terrorism laws and regulations and laws requiring the consent of subjects of audio and video recordings, and You agree that You are solely responsible for compliance with all such laws and regulations; or (m) use, display, “frame” or “mirror” any part of the Services, our names, any of our trademarks, logos or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form contained on a page, without prior written authorization from us. You will not copy, reproduce, modify, translate, enhance, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or create derivative works of the Service or its underlying software. You will neither alter nor remove any trademark, copyright notice, or other proprietary rights notice that may appear in any part of the Service and will include all such notices on any copies.
- Recordings. You are responsible for compliance will all recording laws. By using the Service, you are giving Gatherly consent to store recordings for any or all Gatherly meetings or events that you join. You may receive a notification (visual or otherwise) when recording is enabled. You acknowledge that the event or meeting organizer, or the host of a particular room or exhibit at an event, controls whether recording is enabled. If you do not consent to being recorded, you can choose to leave the meeting or event.
- Responsibility for End Users. You are responsible for the activities that occur through your account. If You become aware of any violation of this Agreement in connection with use of the Service by any person, please contact Gatherly at firstname.lastname@example.org Gatherly may investigate any complaints and violations that come to its attention and may take any (or no) action that it believes is appropriate, including, but not limited to issuing warnings, removing the content or terminating accounts and/or user profiles. Under no circumstances will Gatherly be liable in any way for any data or other content viewed while using the Service, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any such data or content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of, access to, or denial of access to any data or content.
- Accounts. You may not share your account with anyone else. As part of the registration process, you may be asked to identify your employer to be associated with your account. You will not misrepresent your or your employer’s identity, or otherwise provide any false or misleading information. We may reassign the domain name associated with your account and change the way you access the Service at any time in our sole discretion. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your login, password, and account and for all activities that occur under your login and account.
- Reservation of Rights. We retain all right, title, and interest in and to the Service, its underlying technologies, and all related intellectual property rights, including without limitation any modifications, updates, customizations, cards, apps, or other add-ons. Your rights to use the Service on are limited to those expressly set forth in these Terms. We reserve all other rights in and to the Service and its underlying technologies.
- Service Availability. You are responsible for making Your Data available that is necessary for us to provide the Service. Actual service coverage, speeds, locations and quality may vary. We will attempt to provide the Services at all times, except for periods for maintenance and repair or in the case of emergencies or outages. The Services may be subject to unavailability for a variety of factors beyond our control including, without limitation, emergencies, third-party service failures, transmission, equipment or network problems or limitations, interference, signal strength, and may be interrupted, limited or curtailed. Delays or omissions may occur. We are not responsible for data, messages or pages lost, not delivered, delayed or misdirected because of interruptions or performance issues with the Services or communications services or networks. We may impose usage or Services limits, suspend the Services, or block certain kinds of usage in our sole discretion to protect users, data, our systems, or the Services. The accuracy and timeliness of data received is not guaranteed.
- System Requirements. Use of the Service requires one or more compatible devices, Internet access (fees may apply), and certain software (fees may apply), and may require obtaining updates or upgrades from time to time. Because use of the Service involves hardware, software, and Internet access, your ability to access and use the Service may be affected by the performance of these factors. High speed Internet access is recommended. You acknowledge and agree that such system requirements, which may be changed from time to time, are your responsibility.
2. RIGHT TO RESTRICT OR TERMINATE ACCESS
- Termination. We may deny, suspend, terminate or restrict your access to all or part of the Services without notice in our reasonable discretion.
- Post-Termination Obligations. Following termination, you shall immediately cease use of the Services and any license granted to you under any agreement related to your use of the Services shall immediately terminate. Upon termination, we may delete all of your data, and other information stored on our servers. Sections 1.6, 2.2, 4.2, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 will survive termination.
3. CHANGE TO THE TERMS. We may add to, change or remove any part of these Terms, at any time without prior notice to you other than listing of a later effective date than the one set forth at the top of these Terms. Such modification shall be effective immediately upon posting a notification within the Services or by contacting you via email at the address you provided. As your next use of the Services may be governed by different Terms, we encourage you to look for a new effective date on these Terms when you use the Services. It is your responsibility to check these Terms periodically for changes. If we make any material changes to these Terms, we will endeavor to provide all registered users with additional notice of any changes, such as at your e-mail address of record or when you log-in to your account. Your use or continued use of the Services following the posting or notice of any changes to these Terms shall constitute your acceptance of the changed Terms.
- Data Transmission. You acknowledge that use of the Service involves transmission of Your Data and other communications over the Internet and other networks, and that such transmissions could potentially be accessed by unauthorized parties. You must protect your login name and password from access or use by unauthorized parties, and are solely responsible for any failure to do so. You must promptly notify us of any suspected security breach at email@example.com.
- Your Data. Your Data is your property. We use data in accordance with our privacy policies found at https://www.gatherly.io/legal/privacy-policy. You grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to use, copy, transmit, sub-license, index, store, aggregate, and display Your Data as required to provide or perform the Service, account management and support services, and technical services, and to publish, display, and distribute de-identified information derived from Your Data and from your use of the Service for any lawful purposes, including, without limitation, improving our products and services, developing new products and services, and developing, displaying, and distributing benchmarks, analysis and similar reports, provided that we do so in accordance with all applicable laws.
5. FEEDBACK AND OTHER CONTENT. The Service may permit you to or you may otherwise submit feedback, user community contributions and comments, technical support information, suggestions, enhancement requests, recommendations, and messages relating to the use and operation of the Service. You grant to us a royalty-free, fully paid, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable license to display, use, copy, modify, publish, perform, translate, create derivative works from, sublicense, distribute, and otherwise exploit such content without restriction.
6. DISCLAIMERS. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. WE DO NOT MAKE ANY ADDITIONAL REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED (EITHER IN FACT OR BY OPERATION OF LAW), OR STATUTORY, AS TO ANY MATTER WHATSOEVER. WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, QUALITY, ACCURACY, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT WARRANT AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH THE ENJOYMENT OF THE SERVICE. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE IS ERROR-FREE OR THAT OPERATION OR USE OF THE SERVICE WILL BE SECURE OR UNINTERRUPTED. WE EXERCISE NO CONTROL OVER AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR BASED UPON THE RESULTS OF USE OF THE SERVICE OR DOCUMENTATION.
7. INDEMNIFICATION. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold us, our affiliate companies, and each of our respective directors, officers, employees, contractors, agents, successors and assigns harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising out of or relating to (i) any violation of these Terms by you; (ii) Your Data or any other content or material you submit or otherwise transmit through our Services; (iii) your violation of any applicable laws or rights of another; (iv) your negligent or more culpable conduct; or (v) your use of the Services. We may, at our own expense, elect to assume the exclusive defense and control of any third party claim otherwise subject to defense by you. You may not settle or compromise any claim subject to this section without our prior written consent in our sole discretion.
8. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
- Disclaimer of Indirect Damages. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL WE, OUR AFFILIATES, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, LICENSORS OR OTHER THIRD PARTY PARTNERS (“GATHERLY PARTIES”) BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE, INABILITY TO USE, OR THE RESULTS OF USE OF OUR SERVICES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY; INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DAMAGES RESULTING FROM PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, WHETHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT, ARISING OUT OF THE USE, INABILITY TO USE, OR THE RESULTS OF USE OF OUR SERVICES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY. YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE FOR YOU TO DISCONTINUE YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES.
- Cap on Liability. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY GATHERLY PARTIES’ TOTAL LIABILITY OF ALL KINDS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THESE TERMS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTY CLAIMS), REGARDLESS OF THE FORUM AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ANY ACTION OR CLAIM IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE GREATER OF (A) TOTAL AMOUNTS PAID BY YOU UNDER THESE TERMS DURING THE THREE (3) MONTHS IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING THE DATE OF THE EVENT GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM OR (B) FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).
- Claims Period Limitation. You agree any cause of action arising out of or related to the use of our Services must be commenced within one (1) year after the cause of action accrues, or such action will be permanently barred.
- Exception. Some states or jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion or the limitation of liability. In such states or jurisdictions, the Gatherly Parties’ liability to you shall be limited to the full extent permitted by law.
- Independent Allocations of Risk. Each provision of these terms that provides for a limitation of liability, disclaimer of warranties, or exclusion of damages is to allocate the risks of these terms between the parties. This allocation is reflected in the pricing offered by us to you and is an essential element of the basis of the bargain between the parties. Each of these provisions is severable and independent of all other provisions of these terms. The limitations in this section will apply notwithstanding the failure of essential purpose of any limited remedy in these terms.
9. ARBITRATION AGREEMENT
- Mandatory Arbitration; Exceptions and Opt-Out. You agree that any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to these Terms or the Services (collectively, “Disputes”) will be settled by binding arbitration, except that each party retains the right: (i) to bring an individual action in small claims court and (ii) to seek injunctive or other equitable relief in a court of competent jurisdiction to prevent the actual or threatened infringement, misappropriation or violation of a party’s copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents or other intellectual property rights (the action described in the foregoing clause (ii), an “IP Protection Action”). You will also have the right to litigate any other Dispute if you provide us with written notice to opt out of arbitration (“Arbitration Opt-out Notice”) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail to 24A Trolley Square #2268, Wilmington, DE 19806, United States within thirty (30) days following the date you first accept these Terms, or if you have not registered for an account, then within thirty (30) days following the date you first use our Services. If you don’t provide us with an Arbitration Opt-out Notice within the thirty (30) day period, you will be deemed to have knowingly and intentionally waived your right to litigate any Dispute except as expressly set forth in clauses (i) and (ii) above. The exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any IP Protection Action or, if you timely provide us with an Arbitration Opt-out Notice, will be the state and federal courts located in the Northern District of Georgia and each of the parties hereto waives any objection to jurisdiction and venue in such courts. Unless you timely provide us with an Arbitration Opt-out Notice, you acknowledge and agree that you are each waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class action or representative proceeding.
- No Class Actions. Further, unless we otherwise agree in a writing signed by an authorized representative, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of any class or representative proceeding. If a decision is issued stating that applicable law precludes enforcement of any limitations set forth in this agreement to arbitrate on the right to arbitrate claims on a class or representative basis, or as part of a consolidated proceeding, as to a given claim for relief, then that claim (and only that claim) must be severed from the arbitration and brought in the state or federal courts located in Fulton County, Georgia. All other claims will be arbitrated.
- Rules. The arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Rules and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes (the “AAA Rules”) then in effect, except as modified by this “Arbitration Agreement” section. (The AAA Rules are available at https://www.adr.org/Rules or by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879.) The Federal Arbitration Act will govern the interpretation and enforcement of this Section.
- Arbitration Process. A party who desires to initiate arbitration must provide the other party with a written Demand for Arbitration as specified in the AAA Rules. AAA provides a general form for a Demand for Arbitration and may provide a separate form for Demand for Arbitration for residents of a particular state, such as California. The arbitrator will be either a retired judge or an attorney licensed to practice law with at least 15 years of experience and will be selected by the parties from the AAA’s roster of arbitrators. If the parties are unable to agree upon an arbitrator within seven (7) days of delivery of the Demand for Arbitration, then the AAA will appoint the arbitrator in accordance with the AAA Rules.
- Arbitration Location and Procedure. Unless you agree with us otherwise, the arbitration will be conducted in the county where you reside. If your claim does not exceed $10,000, then the arbitration will be conducted solely on the basis of the documents that are submitted to the arbitrator, unless you request a hearing or the arbitrator determines that a hearing is necessary. If your claim exceeds $10,000, your right to a hearing will be determined by the AAA Rules. Subject to the AAA Rules, the arbitrator will have the discretion to direct a reasonable exchange of information by the parties, consistent with the expedited nature of the arbitration.
- Arbitrator’s Decision. The arbitrator will render an award within the time frame specified in the AAA Rules. The arbitrator’s decision will include the essential findings and conclusions upon which the arbitrator based the award. Judgment on the arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. The arbitrator’s award of damages must be consistent with the terms of the “Limitation of Liability” section above as to the types and amounts of damages for which a party may be held liable. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only in favor of the claimant and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by the claimant’s individual claim. If you prevail in arbitration you will be entitled to an award of attorneys’ fees and expenses to the extent provided under applicable law. We will not seek, and hereby waive all rights we may have under applicable law to recover, attorneys’ fees and expenses if we prevail in arbitration.
- Fees. Your responsibility to pay any AAA filing, administrative and arbitrator fees will be solely as set forth in the AAA Rules. However, if your claim for damages does not exceed $75,000, we will pay all such fees unless the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in your Demand for Arbitration was frivolous or was brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)).
- Changes. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in these Terms, if we change this “Arbitration Agreement” section after the date you accepted these Terms or access our Services, you may reject any such change by sending us written notice (including by email to email@example.com) within 30 days of the date such change became effective, as indicated in the “Effective Date” listed at the beginning of these Terms or in the date of our email to you notifying you of such change. By rejecting any change, you are agreeing that you will arbitrate any Dispute between you and us in accordance with the provisions of this “Arbitration Agreement” section as of the date you accepted these Terms, or accessed our Services.
- Survival. This “Arbitration Agreement” section will survive any expiration or termination of these Terms.
10. CONSENT TO ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS
- Updating your Consent. If you later decide that you do not want to receive certain future communications electronically, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or a letter to 24A Trolley Square #2268, Wilmington, DE 19806, United States. You may also opt out of certain electronic communications through your account or by following the unsubscribe instructions in any communication you receive from Gatherly. Your withdrawal of consent will be effective within a reasonable time after we receive your withdrawal notice described above. Gatherly will need to send you certain communications electronically regarding the Services. You will not be able to opt out of those communications – e.g., communications regarding updates to the Terms or information about billing. Your withdrawal of consent will not affect the legal validity or enforceability of the Terms provided to and accepted by, you. If you withdraw your consent to receive communications electronically, certain Services may become unavailable to you.
11. THIRD PARTY SERVICES AND WEBSITES. The Services may contain functionalities provided by third parties or links to other sites that are owned and operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the privacy and services practices or the content, advertising, products, services or other materials made available on or through any such third parties services or linked sites. We provide these functionalities or links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion thereof does not imply endorsement of any kind by us.
12. GENERAL PROVISIONS
- Access by Competitors. You may not access the Service if you are our direct competitor, except with our prior written consent. In addition, you may not access the Service for purposes of monitoring its availability, performance, or functionality, or for any other benchmarking or competitive purpose.
- United States Only. The Services are intended for use only within the United States and its territories. We make no representation that the Services are appropriate, or are available for use outside the U.S. Those who choose to access and use our Services from outside the U.S. do so on their own initiative, at their own risk, and are responsible for compliance with applicable laws.
- Assignment and Delegation. You may not assign any of your rights or delegate any of your obligations under these Terms (in whole or in part) without our prior written consent, except in connection with a change of control, merger, or by operation of law. Your assignment or delegation will not relieve you of your obligations under these Terms nor release you of your liability under these Terms. We may voluntarily, involuntarily, or by operation of law assign any of our rights or delegate any of our obligations under these Terms without your consent. Any purported assignment or delegation in violation of this Subsection will be null and void. Subject to this Subsection, these Terms will bind and inure to the benefit of each party’s respective permitted successors and permitted assigns.
- Notices. Any notice required or permitted to be given in accordance with these Terms will be effective if it is in writing and sent by certified or registered mail, or overnight courier, return receipt requested, to the appropriate party at the address at the address provided by the other party and with the appropriate postage affixed. Either party may change its address for receipt of notice by notice to the other party in accordance with this Subsection. Notices are deemed given two business days following the date of mailing or one business day following delivery to a courier.
- Force Majeure. We will not be liable for, or be considered to be in breach of or default under these Terms on account of, any delay or failure to perform as required by these Terms as a result of any cause or condition beyond our reasonable control.
- Governing Law. These Terms will be interpreted, construed, and enforced in all respects in accordance with the local laws of the State of Georgia, U.S.A., without reference to its choice of law rules and not including the provisions of the 1980 U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
- No Third-Party Beneficiaries. There are no third-party beneficiaries to these Terms.
- Waiver and Modifications. Failure, neglect, or delay by a party to enforce the provisions of these Terms or its rights or remedies at any time, will not be construed as a waiver of the party’s rights under these Terms and will not in any way affect the validity of the whole or any part of these Terms or prejudice the party’s right to take subsequent action. Exercise or enforcement by either party of any right or remedy under these Terms will not preclude the enforcement by the party of any other right or remedy under these Terms or that the party is entitled by law to enforce.
- Severability. If any part of these Terms is found to be illegal, unenforceable, or invalid, the remaining portions of these Terms will remain in full force and effect. If any material limitation or restriction on the use of the Service under these Terms is found to be illegal, unenforceable, or invalid, your right to use the Service will immediately terminate.
- Headings. Headings are used in these Terms for reference only and will not be considered when interpreting these Terms.
- Entire Agreement. These Terms contain the entire agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter of these Terms and supersede all previous communications, representations, understandings, and agreements, either oral or written, between the parties with respect to said subject matter. No usage of trade or other regular practice or method of dealing between the parties will be used to modify, interpret, supplement, or alter the terms of these Terms.